August 29, 2016
Determining Whether Your Roof Needs Repaired or Replaced Before Putting it on the Market
Deciding to jump into roof repairs or replacements is a commitment. Make sure you know your options.
Will replacing a few shingles really help me sell my house faster? Do buyers really care? Is it my responsibility to repair a 20-year-old roof? These are a few of the tougher questions homeowners have to ask themselves before putting their home on the market.
Since a major roof repair can cost thousands of dollars, any roof replacement or repair that has recently been completed often becomes a point of negotiation in a home sale. And it’s no wonder: according to Remodeling Magazine, full roof replacements average a 71.6 percent return on investment (ROI), while minor roof repairs deliver an average 61.7 percent ROI. But, the first step to making a decision is getting a home inspection to find out how serious or necessary any replacements or repairs are.
If a specialist reveals that there are issues with your roof, the first step is to get a quote from your roofing company to see if you can afford the repairs.
Reasons to repair:
- You may be able to sell faster. That’s because eliminating roofing problems creates one less concern for homebuyers when they are considering a purchase.
- A well-maintained home is more appealing to buyers. Replacing or repairing your roof will make an enormous difference to the appearance, functionality and value of your home.
- If your roof is at the end of its useful life it may seriously factor into the final sale price.
Reasons to sell as is:
- If you sell in a competitive market, buyers are more likely to overlook roofing issues.
- If the repairs needed are minor and you don’t have the budget to fix them prior to selling, you may be able to negotiate a selling price without major impacts on the final sale price.
- If your roof’s warranty is transferable and you aren’t motivated to go through the repair or replacement process prior to selling, negotiating the warranty transfer to cover damages puts the repairs or replacement back into the buyer’s hands.
If you’re selling your home and looking for a roof estimate, call Enterprise Roofing today. Our roofing experts will give you a consultation for free. With years of experience serving the Miami Valley, we know what buyers are looking for. Give us a call today at 937-453-3933 to get started.
Recent Blog Posts
Why You Should “Shop Local” for Commercial Renovations
As Dayton residents ourselves, we believe in “shopping local” and improving our community both economically and aesthetically.
How to Prepare For An Upcoming Move
Moving an entire household can feel daunting, but by breaking the task down into smaller steps, the transition to your new home can be much easier.
Get Your Roof Ready For Spring
Spring cleaning is a must for many households; the process opens up the home from the shuttered, heavy days of winter and gives a fresh start, just in time for the new season.
When Should You Call A Professional About Your Roof?
When water starts dripping into your home from the roof, you know something is wrong. But sometimes, signs of roof trouble are subtler.
When, Why and How to Clean Rain Gutters
Welcome to fall! Are the leaves piling up on the sidewalks and in your yard? If so, that means they’re piling up in your rain gutters too.