August 29, 2016
Determining Whether Your Roof Needs Repaired or Replaced Before Putting it on the Market
Deciding to jump into roof repairs or replacements is a commitment. Make sure you know your options.
Will replacing a few shingles really help me sell my house faster? Do buyers really care? Is it my responsibility to repair a 20-year-old roof? These are a few of the tougher questions homeowners have to ask themselves before putting their home on the market.
Since a major roof repair can cost thousands of dollars, any roof replacement or repair that has recently been completed often becomes a point of negotiation in a home sale. And it’s no wonder: according to Remodeling Magazine, full roof replacements average a 71.6 percent return on investment (ROI), while minor roof repairs deliver an average 61.7 percent ROI. But, the first step to making a decision is getting a home inspection to find out how serious or necessary any replacements or repairs are.
If a specialist reveals that there are issues with your roof, the first step is to get a quote from your roofing company to see if you can afford the repairs.
Reasons to repair:
- You may be able to sell faster. That’s because eliminating roofing problems creates one less concern for homebuyers when they are considering a purchase.
- A well-maintained home is more appealing to buyers. Replacing or repairing your roof will make an enormous difference to the appearance, functionality and value of your home.
- If your roof is at the end of its useful life it may seriously factor into the final sale price.
Reasons to sell as is:
- If you sell in a competitive market, buyers are more likely to overlook roofing issues.
- If the repairs needed are minor and you don’t have the budget to fix them prior to selling, you may be able to negotiate a selling price without major impacts on the final sale price.
- If your roof’s warranty is transferable and you aren’t motivated to go through the repair or replacement process prior to selling, negotiating the warranty transfer to cover damages puts the repairs or replacement back into the buyer’s hands.
If you’re selling your home and looking for a roof estimate, call Enterprise Roofing today. Our roofing experts will give you a consultation for free. With years of experience serving the Miami Valley, we know what buyers are looking for. Give us a call today at 937-453-3933 to get started.
Recent Blog Posts
Benefits of a Local Contractor
When compared to big-box supply stores, local contractors and companies provide a better deal, a more professional relationship, and a higher-quality job.
The Essentials for Disaster Preparedness and Recovery
As the Miami Valley recovers from tremendous damage and loss due to tornadoes, we’re reminded that a natural disaster can strike at any time.